EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT UNIT
Message from the EDU at Nile College
Never think that you are too old or two knowledgeable to learn new things. Such an attitude only leads to loss of vitality and may indeed be a sign of the accumulation of outdated practices.
One such person once said, "I have been teaching for the last 30 year. You are not going to tell me how to do it now," to which a young man replied, "
But sir, you may have been doing it wrong for the last 30 years."
There is always new knowledge to obtain, new experiences to accumulate, and new methods and protocols to adopt to help us to continually do things more professionally.
EDU has a program aimed not only towards the young and inexperienced, but also towards those with considerable experience and know-how.
The program has a series of workshops designed to bring newer knowledge in education to the teaching staff.
It is advisable that all Professors attend the workshops in the three areas of direct relevance to them:
Education Planning, Teaching and Learning, and the all important area of Assessment and Evaluation.
Be on the look out for EDU program news! EDU staff is always ready to answer questions about and provide information on its activities.
The EDU in the Nile College is committed to professional development of the teachers in higher education to ensure a continuous improvement of the teaching and learning processes as well as research capabilities at Nile College and other universities in Sudan.
To develop independent, competent professionals who have knowledge and expertise in the areas of teaching and its management, assessment, program evaluation and research.
1. To enable teachers to have an opportunity to assess and develop their professional expertise as teachers at the Nile College depending on evidence based criteria for good practice that facilitate leaning and teaching
2. To support teachers to develop the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies needed for effective teaching and management of their students learning. This is by identifying the needs and backgrounds of students and taking account of those needs in the design of teaching methods and learning opportunities provided to students
3. To provide a forum for communication between teachers in the college for better organization, performance and satisfaction.
4. To ensure the continuation of the process of improvement of status of teaching and the quality of student learning at Nile college
5. To assess and support curriculum development
6. To cooperate with other Universities in Sudan and abroad in teaching, training and other educational issues.
7. To develop teachers research capabilities which include planning, writing research proposals and scientific papers.
Teaching / learning methods
The approach is mainly Learner centered allowing, active participation, reflection on lectures,
application of knowledge; All in a very supportive environment.
Evaluation for both participants’ achievements and the workshop is done through direct feedback and questionnaires
EDU Teaching Staff
Professor Amal Mahmoud Saeed - EDU Director
Professor of Physiology, ECFMG Fellowship in education
Professor M. Y. Sukkar - Dean Nile college
Professor in physiology,
Consultant medical education to WHO, SMC, Ministry of Health
Professor Zein A. Karrar
Professor of Paediatrics, University of Khartoum
Professor Elsheikh Mahgoub Gafar
Professor of Microbiology, WHO consultant on Research & Education
Dr. Sameer Shahin
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Director, EDC Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum
Dr. Shaza Abbas
Assistant Professor, Dentistry
Dr. Tahra Elsadig
Assistant Professor, MSc, PhD
Dr. Sara Mohamed Osman
MSc Community Medicine, Registrar of Community Medicine
Dr. Shahd Osman
MBBS, MS.EPID, FFAIMER
Dr. Abubaker Mergani
MBBS, University of Khartoum
Tutor, EDU, Nile College
Third floor, Room 9
Four offices attached
1. Basic educational workshops.
2. On- demand workshops for institutions or groups.
3. In-house workshops for NC faculty & personnel.
4. Research Methodology courses.
5. CPD courses.