The BSc of Medical Laboratory Sciences is a four year programme designed to prepare students to apply for registration as medical laboratory scientists following a period of one year of honors’ study. The main objectives of the BSc Medical Laboratory Sciences are:
• To impart the scientific basis of laboratory medicine in the fields of Microbiology, Parasitology & Medical Entomology, Immunology, Haematology and Biochemistry.
• To offer practical training that will provide the skills required for performance of laboratory tests necessary for the diagnosis of infections, blood disorders, metabolic disorders and blood transfusion processes.
• To integrate theoretical and practical training so that practice is oriented to solve problems and contribute to effective patient management.
• To enable the students to practice ideas and techniques for research trails for future progress and acumen for post-graduate qualifications in the fields of microbiology, immunology, haematology and biochemistry.
• To inoculate the ethics of professional practice.
The programme provides training and career development for staff at every stage of their careers to improve their capacities to plan and apply high quality research.