EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT UNIT
Message from the EDU at Nile College
Never think that you are too old or two knowledgeable to learn new things. Such an attitude only leads to loss of vitality and may indeed be a sign of the accumulation of outdated practices.
One such person once said, "I have been teaching for the last 30 year. You are not going to tell me how to do it now," to which a young man replied, "
But sir, you may have been doing it wrong for the last 30 years."
There is always new knowledge to obtain, new experiences to accumulate, and new methods and protocols to adopt to help us to continually do things more professionally.
EDU has a program aimed not only towards the young and inexperienced, but also towards those with considerable experience and know-how.
The program has a series of workshops designed to bring newer knowledge in education to the teaching staff.
It is advisable that all Professors attend the workshops in the three areas of direct relevance to them:
Education Planning, Teaching and Learning, and the all important area of Assessment and Evaluation.
Be on the look out for EDU program news! EDU staff is always ready to answer questions about and provide information on its activities.
The Educational Development Unit is Nile College’s in-house professional development center for college faculty and staff. The EDU is dedicated to the continuous improvement of the teaching and learning environment at, as well as research capabilities of, Nile College.
To develop independent, competent professionals possessing expertise in teaching, management, program assessment and evaluation, and research.
1. To give professors an opportunity to assess and develop their professional expertise as teachers using evidence-based criteria for good practice.
2. To support teachers in developing the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies needed for effective teaching and managing of their students’ learning, including taking into account the needs and backgrounds of students in the design of specific teaching methods.
3. To provide a forum for communication between teachers in the college with the aim of improving organization, performance and satisfaction.
4. To ensure continual improvement of teaching and the quality of learning at Nile College.
5. To assess and support curriculum development.
6. To cooperate with other Universities in Sudan and abroad in teaching, training and other educational endeavors.
7. To develop teachers’ research capabilities including writing research proposals and scientific papers.
Teaching / learning methods
The approach employed by the EDU is learner-centered, based on active participation in a supportive environment.
Evaluation is done through direct feedback and questionnaires.
EDU Teaching Staff
Professor Amal Mahmoud Saeed - EDU Director
Professor of Physiology, ECFMG Fellowship in education
Professor M. Y. Sukkar - Dean Nile college
Professor in physiology,
Consultant medical education to WHO, SMC, Ministry of Health
Professor Zein A. Karrar
Professor of Paediatrics, University of Khartoum
Professor Elsheikh Mahgoub Gafar
Professor of Microbiology, WHO consultant on Research & Education
Dr. Sameer Shahin
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Director, EDC Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum
Dr. Shaza Abbas
Assistant Professor, Dentistry
Dr. Tahra Elsadig
Assistant Professor, MSc, PhD
Dr. Sara Mohamed Osman
MSc Community Medicine, Registrar of Community Medicine
Dr. Shahd Osman
MBBS, MS.EPID, FFAIMER
Dr. Abubaker Mergani
MBBS, University of Khartoum
Tutor, EDU, Nile College
Third floor, Room 9
Four offices attached
1. Basic educational workshops.
2. On- demand workshops for institutions or groups.
3. In-house workshops for NC faculty & personnel.
4. Research Methodology courses.
5. CPD courses.