Educational Development Unit
Message from the EDU at Nile University
Never think that you are too old or two knowledgeable to learn new things. Such an attitude only leads to loss of vitality and may indeed be a sign of the accumulation of outdated practices.
One such person once said, “I have been teaching for the last 30 year. You are not going to tell me how to do it now,” to which a young man replied, but sir, you may have been doing the wrong thig for the last 30 years.”
There is always new knowledge to obtain, new experiences to accumulate, and new methods and protocols to adopt to help us to continually do things more professionally.
EDU has a program aimed not only towards the young and developing staff, but also towards those with considerable experience and know-how, to share and team from each other.
The program has a series of workshops designed to bring newer knowledge in education to the teaching staff.
It is advisable that all Professors attend the workshops in the three areas of direct relevance to them:
Education Planning, Teaching and Learning, and the all important area of Assessment and Evaluation.
Be on the lookout for EDU program news! EDU staff is always ready to answer questions about and provide information on its activities.
The Educational Development Unit in Nile University in-house professional development center for college faculty and staff. The EDU is dedicated to the continuous improvement of the teaching and learning environment at, as well as research capabilities of Nile University.
To develop independent, competent professionals possessing expertise in teaching, management, program assessment and evaluation, and research.
- To give professors an opportunity to assess and develop their professional expertise as teachers using evidence-based criteria for good practice.
- To support teachers in developing the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies needed for effective teaching and managing of their students’ learning, including taking into account the needs and backgrounds of students in the design of specific teaching methods.
- To provide a forum for communication between teachers in the University with the aim of improving organization, performance and satisfaction.
- To ensure continual improvement of teaching and the quality of learning at Nile University.
- To assess and support curriculum development.
- To cooperate with other Universities in Sudan and abroad in teaching, training and other educational endeavors.
- To develop teachers’ research capabilities including writing research proposals and scientific papers.
Teaching / learning methods
The approach employed by the EDU is learner-centered, based on active participation in a supportive environment.
Evaluation is done through direct feedback and questionnaires.
EDU Teaching Staff
Professor Amal Mahmoud Saeed – EDU Director
Professor of Physiology, ECFMG Fellowship in education
Professor M.Y. Sukkar – President Nile University
Professor in physiology,
Consultant medical education to WHO, SMC, Ministry of Health
Professor Zain El Abdin Abd El R.Karar
Professor of Paediatrics, University of Khartoum
Professor Elsheikh Mahgoub Gafar
Professor of Microbiology, WHO consultant on Research & Education
Dr. Sameer Shahin
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Director, EDC Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum
Dr. Shaza Abbas
Assistant Professor, Dentistry
Dr. Tahra Elsadig
Associate Professor, MSc, PhD
Dr. Sara Mohamed Osman
MSc Community Medicine, Registrar of Community Medicine
Dr. Shahd Osman
MBBS, MS.EPID, FFAIMER
Dr. Abubaker Mergani
MBBS, University of Khartoum
Tutor, EDU, Nile University
Third floor, Room 9
Four offices attached
- Basic educational workshops.
- On- demand workshops for institutions or groups.
- In-house workshops for NC faculty & personnel.
- Research Methodology courses.
- CPD courses.